7th chords are the backbone of jazz piano, and it’s amazing how much difference they can make in how your playing sounds.
Sam is back today with a lesson on how to “jazz up” your piano playing with some simple steps.
Here are the timecodes:
– The normal version (no jazz) – 0:12
– The “jazzy” version – 0:31
– How to make a Major 7th chord – 0:55
– How to build a dominant 7th chord – 1:10
– Applying the chords to the melody – 1:48
– Adding rhythm and swing – 2:52
One thing to mention, at 3:22 Sam plays a funny-looking chord. This is STILL a G7 chord, but he’s playing it in an inversion. Which means he’s just changed the order of the notes.
For more on inversions, check out this lesson: https://youtu.be/Xuuq8DtUy_g
And to learn how to play and use inversions, try our FREE Chord Hacks series:
If all this jazz stuff is just nonsense to you, and you’re looking for some beginner lessons, then click here for your first 4 lessons FREE:
And make sure you follow us on social media:
#jazzpiano #pianote #pianolessons